Q: Car shuts off after sometime I start the engine!

Car has been shutting off while idling and also while driving, while idling the rpm needle bounce. It looks like its struggling. Sometimes it struggle and other times it just shut off. No Engine Light. The mechanic cleaned the throttle body and was checking the MAF sensor, said it doesn't look good. So tomorrow I am going replace it. But after replacing that if the problem still exists, what are the other things should I look for? Thanks!

A: A poor engine idle could be due to a faulty...

A poor engine idle could be due to a faulty idle air controller or IAC for short. The IAC controls the engine idle speed by allowing more or less air into the intake manifold. More air equals high RPM, less air equals less RPM. If the IAC is bad it could cause your vehicle to stall out when coming to a stop or a poor erratic idle. If you would like to have this inspected, YourMechanic can visit your home or office to diagnose the stalling issue to verify what repairs are made. If you would like, we can replace the MAF sensor for you, as you would also be covered by our 12,000 mile and 12-month warranty.