Q: My car won't move in drive or reverse the engine just rev up and that's all it would do

asked by on July 10, 2017

My car won't move in drive or in reverse only thing it would do is just rev up

The first thing to check is to see if the shifter linkage is moving the transmission shift rod on the transmission. The cable end may be broken at the transmission and will not take car out of park even though the selector is moving. Move selector into drive or reverse before trying to start the vehicle. If it still cranks up then the transmission may be stuck in park due to cable. If transmission cable is okay then you have major internal transmission problem or no fluid or low fluid.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr