Q: Car sputtering, rough idle 1983 Volvo 242

I just purchased the car last Wednesday, and it was running fine. I cracked up the car for the first time today, and it started sputtering when I accelerated. It was also using very rough, shaking the car. I know part of the exhaust system is like Swiss cheese, but I think it could be something else. Can you help?

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - the rough running you describe could be anything from bad gas (water content), failing ignition components, or a fuel system problem (low fuel pressure, clogged or leaking injectors,etc.). The first task is to extract problem codes from engine management, which should guide diagnosis. I would recommend a rough running inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.