Q: Car sputtering, rough idle 1983 Volvo 242

I just purchased the car last Wednesday, and it was running fine. I cracked up the car for the first time today, and it started sputtering when I accelerated. It was also using very rough, shaking the car. I know part of the exhaust system is like Swiss cheese, but I think it could be something else. Can you help?

Hi there - the rough running you describe could be anything from bad gas (water content), failing ignition components, or a fuel system problem (low fuel pressure, clogged or leaking injectors,etc.). The first task is to extract problem codes from engine management, which should guide diagnosis. I would recommend a rough running inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car sputtering, rough idle 1983 Volvo 242