Q: What tips should I follow when towing a trailer?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What tips should I follow when towing a trailer?

While your car is designed primarily to carry passengers and cargo, it can tow a trailer. If you have the 2.5-liter engine, your towing capacity is 1500 pounds. If you have the 3.5-liter engine without the tow package, your towing capacity is 2000 pounds. If you have the tow package installed, that increases your towing capacity to 3500 pounds. In all situations, follow these tips for safe towing:

• Don’t drive faster than 65 MPH even on a flat, dry road.

• Always double check the trailer’s lights and tires.

• Make sure to use safety chains in addition to the tongue/ball lock.

• Drive with caution and avoid sudden stops. Leave one vehicle length and one trailer length between you and the vehicle in front for every 10 MPH of speed.

• Use extra care when passing a vehicle while towing a trailer.