Q: My car vibrates when it's in gear, even at idle. There is less vibration in park or neutral.

New to me car, vibration felt in steering wheel and floor and seat, noticed that the vibration goes away or lessens when in park or neutral, present while in gear at stop or under power

Full RPM range.

A: Hi there. This type of vibration in my hist...

Hi there. This type of vibration in my history has usually been the result of a weak, split, or broken engine mount or metal fatigue in the body. A visual inspection of the engine mounts can be a quick determination of the issue if the bushings are split, broken, or cracked. The rubber bushing has simply worn out.

The engine mounts hold the engine in place to the body and cradle, also providing dampening from the engine vibrations. A weak engine mount may not be obvious and need the experience of a technician to determine. Body fatigue can happen, but this is usually the case in older vehicles and most likely not yours. If you need help getting a precise diagnosis your your situation, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can inspect your vibration and follow through with any repairs that are needed.