Q: Steering shaft problem - 1996 Chevrolet K1500

I just got a new steering column for my 96 Silverado k1500 it has a 6" lift but the steering column where it connects to the intermediate steering shaft is short about half an inch I believe that's what it's called not 100% it's where the column goes right outside the firewall of the cab and the first bolt but it's half inch short is there a way to extend the column or shaft

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Either you have gotten a steering column for a different year or model of Chevrolet truck, or the steering column was modified for another vehicle. You can change the shaft to match the vehicle and get longer bolts to secure the steering column to the firewall.

If you need further assistance your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you get your steering column in proper working order.

3. Steering shaft problem - 1996 Chevrolet K1500