Q: Engine ran out of oil

asked by on December 12, 2016

I was driving on the highway and I couldn't accelerate anymore, the speed went down...I was told by the dealership service that I hadn't put oil in there for a year since I had the vehicle and because of that the engine got damaged which cause the car to shut off on me...

They stated that I had to buy a new engine and with labor it would cost $6,500....I don't have that money readily on me, is there another alternative?

Depending on the severity of the damage done to the engine as a result of not having oil, you may not have many other options. When an engine is run out of oil, there are many different things that can happen, all of which usually end up being catastrophic requiring the motor to be removed from the car and disassembled. Depending on how much damage is done, some of the parts may be salvaged. The problem with a repair job such as this is that depending on what needs to be repaired, the parts and labor may cost more than the $6,500 they are quoting you. In a perfect world you may be lucky and have only done a small amount of damage, in which case the engine may be repairable. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your car.