Q: P1336 code, crankshaft position sensor variation not learned

asked by on March 17, 2018

P1336 crankshaft position sensor variation not learned, it was only saying crankshaft position sensor before so I replaced it and now its changed to the variation not learned. What could be the cause, how can it be fixed?

The code that you are referring to typically means there is an electrical problem in the crankshaft position sensor circuit. The issue is not necessarily the sensor itself and thus the output of the sensor must be viewed on a scan tool prior to any decision to replace it. The problem could be a short or open in the wiring harness, a damaged signal plate, or even a weak battery. On this vehicle there is no re-learn procedure. Once you drive the vehicle the ECM automatically integrates the output of the sensor. You can try erasing the code and driving the car to see if the Check Engine Light stays off. If it doesn’t, the output of the sensor should be viewed on a scan tool and the integrity of the circuit should be checked. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.