Q: Pitman arm and idler arm - 2000 Ford Expedition

asked by on October 31, 2016

I've been told that I need pitman arm and idler arm which of the two is most needed for the quality of steering. I am experiencing weakness and loose play on the passenger side and it seems that the vehicle drives sideways

The pitman and idler arms are both just as important for the steering to work correctly. Both of these components will cause the steering to wander, feel loose, and may cause a pull to one side or the other.

Once both components are replaced the tie rod ends should also be checked to make sure there is no other worn steering component. Once all worn parts are replaced then the front end should be aligned or you will get bad tire wear in a short time.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to diagnose your steering issue and make any repairs needed.