Q: No power, car sounds very rough.

Com0ketely lost. All I can see say is no power and runs rough... sounds like an older boat literally.

The first place to start when trying to diagnose a vehicle with running issues is to have it scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This will tell you if any sensors have detected any issues, and may give you some more information that may help identify the issue(s).

Main systems that cause engines to run poorly are fuel issues, spark issues, sludge build-up, a number of electrical issues, and exhaust issues. You will want to determine if these issues happen suddenly or gradually. If it happens suddenly there is a strong chance not a component has failed altogether. This would typically trigger a Check Engine Light. If this has happened gradually then there’s a chance that the issues are fuel and spark components simply wearing down.

At this stage in your vehicle’s life, you may want to perform a full vehicle tune up. This would include new spark plugs and wires, new fuel filter and fuel pump, and a new air filter. Generally with tuneups you take a look at the steering, suspension, and brakes just to make sure nothing is out of spec. It is always wise to make sure your have clean oil and a new filer as well.

If you’d like to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to perform the tune-up.