Q: Cranks but won't start.

I get in my truck in the morning to go to work and try to start it and it cranks but doesn't fire up. I initially just tried starting again and it would start. Now when I try to start it in the morning it does the same thing, but wony ever start unless I turn the key to the on position, cycle from park to another gear and them back to park, then my truck starts right up. It only does when the truck has sat for long periods time. Any ideas?

Hi there. It seems that the transmission position sensor / switch has a contact issue within it. Remove the harness from the transmission switch and see if there is any moisture on the plug. If there is moisture, then you could dry out the moisture and plug it back in to see if the vehicle still does not start up. If the symptoms continue, then I recommend replacing the transmission position sensor / switch. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting and having to move the shifter to make it start, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Cranks but won't start.