Q: Every time I brake I hear a noise and it gets worse when the car is coming to a stop.

I noticed this sound 2 days ago. It almost sounds like when a stick is hitting a fan and when the car slows almost to a complete stop it almost sounds like grinding. I drove on reverse and hit the brakes but I don't hear it only on drive. I don't think I need new brakes; I checked the rotors and they're smooth so I'm not sure what it is. I need help figuring this out. I'm afraid to take it to a mechanic because I know they'll rip me off if its something so easy to fix.

A: Any noises coming from brakes or changes in...

Any noises coming from brakes or changes in brake pedal feel, warrant an inspection right away for safety. You just don’t know until an experienced mechanic has inspected your brakes. Brakes should be checked about every 15,000 miles or once a year. Play it smart and have the noise checked out.