Q: Need help removing instrument cluster from the dashboard

How do I remove the instrument cluster from the dashboard on my car? I noticed that you can pull up on the hood section of the dashboard (the part that rests over the top of the cluster), but I don't know if it will just pop out, or if it screwed on. I don't want to break it. Any advice?

First of all, the factory service information warns against unintentional airbag deployment when replacing the instrument cluster, so I highly recommend you have this task performed by a professional. If you decide to tackle the job yourself, make sure to start by disconnecting the negative battery cable.

1. Next, pull the instrument cluster upper hood towards the driver’s seat to release the clips and separate the hood from the instrument panel.

2. Remove the two small panels on either side of the steering column opening using a trim stick or CAREFULLY with a small screw driver.

3. Remove the steering column cover.

4. Release the clips and set aside the steering column opening seal.

5. Remove the upper and lower instrument cluster fasteners.

6. Tilt the cluster forward and remove the electrical connector.

7. Remove the clutter.

Once again, if you have to remove the cluster for whatever reason, I highly suggest you have a trained professional do the job for you, especially when dealing with these electrical components.