Q: Error messages pop up when driving and triggers car jerks

Occasionally, I temporarily lose all the lighting control while driving. Plus, warning lights and error messages have started flashing on and off, one after another. When this happens, the car starts jerking. It doesn't matter how fast I'm driving. What is causing these problems?

A: Although a number of different things could...

Although a number of different things could be causing this issue, I would say the most likely cause would be an issue with the steering angle sensor. The steering angle sensor is the only part I can think of that relates to all of the systems you mentioned. My best recommendation would be to have a certified technician use a high tech scan tool to test the steering angle sensor using the manufacturer's recommended procedure, and replace the steering angle sensor, if deemed necessary.

Some other potential causes of this issue would include a faulty electric rack and pinion, damaged wiring or connectors that are associated with any of these systems, or even a control module. For an issue like this, it is important that the technician performing the diagnostic uses a strategic diagnostic strategy, starting with testing the most common causes of the symptoms listed and moving towards the more uncommon causes. This will help to ensure that the problem gets found and resolved quickly. A good place to start would be with a diagnostic inspection of your car's warning lights.