Q: While on motion, the power steering light will come on and it will affect the steering and gear selection.

Whenever I am driving, as soon as I drive into a small pot hole, the power steering light will come on and the steering will become hard, the gear selection will be affected, the movement will be affected also. I will have to switch off the engine and restart. Why is the light coming on?

Hey there. This is a common sign of your ABS and traction control system engaging when you drive over a pot hole or bump. Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely.

Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. If you need to have this looked at, consider enlisting the help of a professional to diagnose the cause of the steering light and help you proceed with proper repair.

• While on motion, the power steering light will come on and it will affect the steering and gear selection.