Q: low fuel level light on 2002 Honda Accord

Hello -

I have a 2002 Honda Accord Value Package model that I inherited from my mother-in-law. The car is in fantastic shape as all suggested service has been completed on it. The problem is that the low fuel light does not come on when the car is nearly empty. I bridged the circuit on the wire connection above the fuel sending unit in the trunk, and the light works fine. Now I think it might be the thermistor on the low fuel sending unit. This part is cheap and easy to replace on the Honda Accord if necessary.

For those of you that have seen this problem, is the thermistor/fuel sending unit the likely cause?

Thanks, Ryan ryanmichaelforbes@gmail.com

Hi there. It is more than likely the electrical harness or the sender unit itself that is faulty; so you are on track with your diagnosis. This is common on older vehicles (more than 15 years old) especially if the fuel pump has never been changed. It’s probably best to replace the entire fuel pump unit as it’s easier to complete this job and it’s likely that the pump will require replacement sooner than later.

3. low fuel level light on 2002 Honda Accord