Q: my car has been sputtering upon rapid acceleration and feels a bit hesitant. If I back off accelerator and reapply, it fixes the

At times my car has been sputtering upon rapid acceleration and feels a bit hesitant. If I back off accelerator and reapply, it fixes the problem. I noticed a large puff of black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe one or two times during rapid acceleration. Today I started my car after work and the engine was immediately reving as if my foot was pressing gas. I turned car off and restarted and the problem was gone. However now my malfunction indicator light is on. Any idea on what this could be?

It is very possible that your engine could be burning oil. This could explain why it’s running bad as the engine would be getting too much "fuel". This will cause the engine to run roughly as the air/fuel ratio is incorrect. I would recommend having your vehicle inspected by a qualified professional to determine the exact cause of this issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr