Q: Serpintine belt might be out? Car isn't starting.

asked by on October 06, 2016

Got my car fully inspected a couple weeks ago and the mechanic said that i'll need a new serpintine belt soon. Went out to start my car and it fired up but my radio display or gauges didnt light up at all, but they always do. I thought that was weird so i turned the car off and tried to restart it. Now i turn it to the on position and my gauges light up but my radio lights do not. When i try and start the car there is nothing. I know the battery is good because some of the lights turn on but the car doesnt even make a sound when I try and start it now. I checked some of the fuses but not the ones under the seat. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Although the serpentine belt does power multiple components on your Cadillac Seville, the electrical gauges are not part on that list to my knowledge. The alternator, which is typically driven by the serpentine belt does power those parts however. My suggestion is to have your serpentine belt replaced and have the serpentine pulley’s inspected, too. Notify the mechanic who is performing the belt service of the starting issue and have them diagnose that while there. From there, they will be able to pinpoint the appropriate repairs to move forward with.