Q: Does the replacement of a thermostat include replacing the housing? I was told I needed to replace the thermostat housing.

I was told by the Kia dealership that I need to replace the thermostat housing. Is this the same as replacing the thermostat?

Hi, thanks for writing in. The thermostat housing and the thermostat itself are two different components and do not necessarily need to be replaced together or at the same time. The housing is just a piece that covers the thermostat that also has an opening for a radiator hose which is where the water enters and exits the motor. The housing may need to be replaced at times if it is cracked or leaks severely, however they are indeed two different and distinct pieces.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

• Does the replacement of a thermostat include replacing the housing? I was told I needed to replace the thermostat housing.