Q: Nav and radio cutting out

This issue seems to happen about once or twice every hour I am driving, but it is not consistent. Everything will be working normally, then the nav screen in radio will go dark and quiet, only to come back about five seconds later just fine. May or may not be related, but prior to this I have been getting "Check SH-AWD" warnings, but no OBD codes. I have also gotten several ABS/Traction/Stability error messages, but those, like the AWD errors, seem to have quieted and now just have the radio/nav issue. I have a VSA code 62 and AWD code 77 in the nav message center. All these issues appearing in last 3 months or so, seemingly out of nowhere.

A: I explain symptoms that seem to come out of...

I explain symptoms that seem to come out of nowhere with a metaphor about a light bulb. We use light bulbs for years and then suddenly, it burns out. Why did it happen when it did is hard to know if not impossible. The same goes for every part of your car.

I’m not sure what codes 62 and 77 are. I cannot confirm their existence in my automotive information system or any other source. Unfortunately this may be a dealership only diagnosis.

To address your screen going dark intermittently, I suspect the problem lies within the nav unit itself because you didn’t mention there were any other symptoms apparent. There are a number of TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins) from Acura about the failure of the information screen that displays your navigation. This is also supported with the fact that you don’t have any OBD codes. The OBD system trumps the nav screen when it comes to diagnosis. I did find some forum chatter about these codes, but I suspect they have more to do with the nav screen system than your all wheel drive system or vehicle stability system.

In this case I think the best place to get your car fixed will be the dealer. Otherwise, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians will be able to diagnose the electrical issue with these components and suggest an accurate repair.

Good luck!