Q: Engine loses revs idling til the thing stalls

asked by on November 06, 2015

After about 20,000 miles, my 2010 GMC Terrain started idling badly with the RPMs lowering too much and stalling the engine if it was idling too long. I just tap the gas a bit and it fixes the problem. Now though, the power when I put the pedal down is dipping and being spotty as well. What problem would cause this? Feels like the engine is restricted.

The most likely cause for your engine performance problem is a balance chain and fuel pump issue. GMC has released Special Coverage Adjustment 12313B which outlines replacement of the fuel pump and balance chain. A fault with either of these components can certainly cause a loss of power or cause the Check Engine Light to come on. The balance chain stretches and affects the timing while the fuel pump plunger allows fuel to bypass into the oil. The warranty on this issue has been extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles, which applies to your vehicle. Not all vehicle are affected, so it is important to ask your local dealer to run your Vehicle Identification Number in their database. This VIN can be found on the registration or on the driver’s door sticker.