Q: How does the rearview monitor work?

How does the rearview monitor work?

A: If your car is equipped with a rearview mon...

If your car is equipped with a rearview monitor, you have an important tool for increasing safety any time you back up your vehicle. The touchscreen in the center console is connected to a rear-facing camera that turns on whenever you put the car in reverse. All you need to do to see what’s behind you is to look at the monitor.

Tips

• Don’t rely solely on the rearview monitor. You still need to manually check behind you and to the sides before backing up. This is only a supplemental safety system.

• The camera won’t show you small objects below the bumper of the car, so use caution.

• A wide angle lens is used on the camera, so objects are closer than they appear.