Q: Windshield wipers are not working

asked by on October 13, 2016

Wipers stopped working while driving. I think the motor still works because I hear it straining to move them when I turn them on.

Hi and thanks for your question. It is notorious for the wiper blade arms to strip out on the wiper motor drive rod. Check to see if the motor is turning the drive rod. If the drive rod is moving, then if your wiper arms have an adjustment screw, tighten the screw. This should fix the situation. If there is no adjustment screw, then you will need to replace the wiper arms.

If the motor drive rod is not turning, then you would need to check to see if the motor is activating. If you hear the motor working, you will need to remove the cover next to the window and look at the connections to the wiper assembly. If they are not moving on the motor, then the rods on the motor are stripped out and need replaced. If the motor is not working, then check for the wiper fuse. If the fuse is okay, then it could be the switch or the motor that has failed completely.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I recommend seeking out a professional, like one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your wiper system.