Q: Car idles but will not drive (dies when revving engine)

Renault Kangoo

Without additional details as to more specific symptoms, this may require further inspection and diagnosing. However, issues while revving may be a sign of a failing throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the throttle position of a vehicle.

The sensor is usually located on the butterfly spindle/shaft so that it can directly monitor the position of the throttle. This sensor relays the position of the throttle plate (also called the butterfly) relative to your foot’s position on the gas pedal and associates the two in the ECU.

The ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when applying the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to you home to diagnose the rough idle and replace this sensor if needed.

3. Car idles but will not drive (dies when revving engine)