Q: Van shut off while driving, now it won't start

My van shut off while I was driving, and now it just won't turn over. I had a mechanic look over everything. Spark plugs - good. Fuel getting to engine - check. Timing belt and water pump - no problems. (I would hope so - I replaced them this month.) The mechanic thinks it must be a sensor or the computer. Possibly the on-board computer immobilization system. There are no error codes coming from the computer. Is it strange for a van to shut off whle you're moving on a highway? What else could be going on?

A: The vehicle may have had a problem with a c...

The vehicle may have had a problem with a computer sensor like the crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor but normally they would have put a code into the computer.

This is not a common problem and would need additional diagnostics by a qualified mechanic to see if the vehicle computer is getting a signal from these two sensors and to check if the coil is putting out spark. The igniter may have went bad and may not be sending out spark signals to the coil. I’d recommend having your vehicle looked at by a certified mechanic who will be able to diagnose these symptoms first hand in order to get your car starting again.