Q: Why is my 1981 Toyota Pickup burning coolant

My truck began burning coolant so i suspected it was the head gasket. I removed the engine and took the head off. The surface of the block was then cleaned. I put a new head gasket in place and a new timing chain set. The head has been resurfaced and bolted back on with the original bolts. Once I started it back up it was still burning coolant. So I took the head off again and got it checked for cracks. It did not have any. I have no idea what the problem is. Engine is the original 22R with 5 speed transmission.

-Kyle

Hi there. If the engine continues to burn coolant then you may have a warped block or there are a few other places where coolant can enter the engine. I have seen cracks in the timing cover and in the intake manifold that can cause this. I usually need to pressurize the cooling system and use a camera to check these areas to find the leak. Some of the time I must also use dye in order to find it. If you need some help with this, consider using YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where the coolant is being lost] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/coolant-is-leaking-inspection

3. Why is my 1981 Toyota Pickup burning coolant