Q: My vehicle is shaking when I drive past 50 mph

asked by on October 20, 2016

so my car has recently been having problems it started with it not wanting to start one day i noticed while i was driving it, the engine shook for a few seconds. i then went to get my regular maintenance oil change since i was a month overdue. the next day i was driving to work and as i was entering the entrance ramp for the highway my engine started shaking again for a few seconds my check engine light flashed on and then back off again. i took it to my local auto zone to get a reading and no codes came up

Hi there. From the description you have given, the drivability problem your vehicle has may be a fuel delivery problem. This would account for your vehicle not wanting to start that one day. Next day, you were entering the highway attempting to accelerate your vehicle shaking and the Check Engine Light flashing.

The Check Engine Light flashing was the ECM (electronic control module) recognizing engine misfires. I am surprised the ECM did not store a fault code P0300 (random cylinder misfires).

It could be start of a faulty fuel pump. It could be a restricted fuel filter. It could also be an ignition system (ie, ignition coil or spark plug) related problem. I recommend having your vehicle’s intermittent drivability problem diagnosed by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic.