Q: Banging under car

The interior dome light is inoperable, the third stop light is not hooked up, and the tailgate swings too far ( there is no restraint strap or bump stop). I also hear a noise from beneath the car. It's a banging sound.

Hi. Does it happen during acceleration, deceleration, when turing the wheel, or when just stopped? This information will help determine the source of the noise. This should be looked at soon as possible because it could be a critical component that is showing signs of failure which will only get more expensive the longer you wait. The dome light may just need a new bulb which is easy to replace. If the bulb doesn’t fix the issue, then there must be a connection problem. Getting to the wires requires removing pieces of interior trim which can be tricky so get the help of a certified technician. The third light by law needs to lit up when pressing the brake pedal. To to avoid a ticket, you should have it reconnected. If you are rear ended and the bulb doesn’t work, there is the chance that you will be blamed for the accident so it’s best to have all lights working. Not having the tailgate fully supported can cause damage to the hinges over time if not opened carefully and would require more money to fix than just a new restraint. Our technicians here at YourMechanic would be able to help you with the noise and replace any other component showing signs of failure.

3. Banging under car