Q: If the RX450h I bought on 10/7 needs a new left front Axle, should I be ok with that repair? or use the Lemon Law?

I bought a 2012 Lexus RX450h, on 10/7 it seemed to pull a little to the left, a smaller lot who sells cars the main LEXUS won't include in inventory, said he would have an alignment done today.....A friend drove it for me (my previous Lexus was totaled on 9/26 when I was hit from behind, so I am not driving right now) and there is a thunk, This morning we took to an independent car repair, they said the Left Front Axle is going. my question is, could this be an independent problem, fixable as he said around $700, or an indication the suspension of the whole vehicle is suspect? I have carfax report 3 owners, 84,000. miles. Thereis a lemon law should I just return it and keep looking?

A: Hi and thanks for your input on your vehicl...

Hi and thanks for your input on your vehicle. When you hear a thunk sound coming from the front of the vehicle, you need to determine if the sound occurs anytime or if the sound only occurs when braking and accelerating. If the vehicle is making the sound at all times, then the suspension is in need of repairs. If the sound is only happening when starting and stopping, then it sounds like a ball joint.

Lift up the vehicle and place it on jack stands. Get a pry bar and lift up on the front wheels. Check for any movement on the ball joints. If there’s no movement, then check to see if the suspension control arms are moving around. Look at the suspension for any loose bolts and any broken bushings. The front axle shaft will only make noises during a turn and going over harsh bumps. I recommend not returning your vehicle, but rather having a professional inspect the front axle of your vehicle and help you with a second look and diagnosis.