Q: Clunk noise when hitting bumps or road irregularities

In the front end of my car, there has been a clunk noise. This noise occurs when hitting bumps and irregularities in the road. It only happens on the left side of the car. After taking the car to the auto repair shop, they have kept it 49 days. Chevrolet keeps telling me that it is a ‘normal’ sound, but to me it is a problem, defect, or a safety issue. They have not even touched a single nut or bold. There must be something they aren’t telling me or they wouldn’t be so concerned to keep my car for 49 days! All they keep saying is, “Everything is fine.” Please give me your assessment of this noise and what I can do to get it fixed.

A: Check with your Chevrolet dealer regarding ...

Check with your Chevrolet dealer regarding a recall (Chevy #15386) regarding a loose tie rod end on some models of Volt for your model year. This would definitely cause a clunk under the conditions you describe, and is a safety issue!