Q: Clutch slipping

asked by on April 18, 2017

My pontiac vibe 2005 clutch slips sometimes mostly after driving for a while but when i start it in the morning and drive it, it doesn't slips at all in all gears and at full throttle. I took it to a mechanic and he change the clutch master cylinder , brake master cylinder and the slave cilynder he changed the fluid and bleed out all the air and the clutch is still doing the exact same thing . i just don't understand it.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have some burnt clutch plates that may be causing the clutch slipping. Your clutch is essentially a spinning disk attached to the transmission’s input shaft (the shaft that feeds power into the transmission). The disk is clamped between two other spinning plates attached to the engine’s crankshaft. When everything is clamped tight, all three disks spin together, and power is delivered to the wheels. When you press the clutch pedal, the pressure on the clutch disk is reduced, so that it can spin freely in between those other two plates. When these plates wear out, this type of friction no longer holds the discs in place resulting in the slipping you describe. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your clutch.