Q: My engine cranks but won't start

Engine cranks but won't start. Have been told to reset inertia switch if it needs it, but can't find it anywhere on my pickup. Have replaced crank sensor, and diesel filter. It just cut out when I was driving. I am flummoxed. Have only had the vehicle a couple of months! Help!

Hello there. There are many common faults that could cause your vehicle to crank but not start. You have done well in replacing the crank sensor and fuel filter. In the event that the vehicle rolls over, the inertia switch is meant to cut the fuel supply to prevent fires, so this is an unlikely culprit. The most common problems are the battery, the alternator, the fuel pump, the ignition switch, the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, or the coil. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to properly diagnose your no start condition and make any repairs required to get your engine running normally again.