Q: "Gear may be engaged. Drive moderately."

I get the message, "Gear may be engaged. Drive moderately." I can put the car in Neutral, Drive, and Reverse. The car moves, but it is not shifting gears. It seems like it stays in first, so it drives stuck in one gear.

A: Hi there. Sounds like you might be having a...

Hi there. Sounds like you might be having an internal transmission issue. Automatic transmissions have many sensors and solenoids as well as valves, bands and clutches that are responsible for proper operation. Transmissions can set codes just like the engine, but it takes a different scanner at times to extract the codes. I would seek help from a qualified mechanic so they can inspect the shifting issue. Sometimes, partial disassembly is required for a proper diagnosis.