Q: My check engine light is on and the autozone said it's the fuel rail pressure sensor and its high. I am supposed to drive to Texas

asked by on August 12, 2017

Check engine light is on. Every once in awhile while car is idling in park you can feel the gas rev up a tiny bit and then kind of shudder but it keeps running. It's fine when driving though and while in drive. Autozone said it is fuel rail pressure sensor reading high voltage input for a predetermined period of time. Can I drive from Colorado to Texas and back with this issue?

Hi Kelly. A check engine light is typically triggered when a senor detects a mechanical or electrical failure within an engine or transmission component. It usually will be accompanied by symptoms. In the case of a fuel rail issue, the first problem will typically be shaking or engines vibrating, lack of acceleration or stalling problems. Whether or not you’re safe to drive inter-state is very difficult for us to give you a direct answer or not. I would recommend resolving this problem before your trip, by having a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a check engine light inspection.