Q: Reduced engine power warning on, power loss, RPM decrease - 2005 Chevrolet Suburban

My car has gone 152,000 miles and has an automatic transmission. The other day I was driving on the highway at around 45 mph. The dashboard started showing the reduced engine power light illuminated. Suddenly, the car began to lose power. I looked at the tachometer and the RPM was around 1100 and wouldn't increase. What might be the problem?

It is possible there is an issue in the electronic throttle control system. Faults need to be read out of the engine computer to determine if this is the case. Accelerator pedal position sensor, throttle position sensor, or throttle motor output could all be causes for the engine to go into what appears to be a failsafe mode. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as a certified technician from YourMechanic, who will be able to read out faults and correct this loss of power issue.

• Reduced engine power warning on, power loss, RPM decrease - 2005 Chevrolet Suburban