Q: How often do you replace a catalytic converter?

Replaced factory original cat with aftermarket part at 180000.. Car failed emissions in California after 10 000 miles (just over 2year warranty) and was replaced with another cat and was 1 point away from failing after another 10000 miles. Mechanic recommends replacing it again. Is this what I can expect because the car is so old?

This would all depend on the quality of the catalytic converter and whether or not the engine is running rich. If the catalytic converter installed was not of OEM quality, this can be part of the reason that it did not last. It is also possible that the engine is running rich. This means that excess fuel is being delivered to the engine. If this is the case, the catalytic converters can foul out much faster than normal. If this is the case, I would recommend having your vehicle inspected for a rich running condition.

3. How often do you replace a catalytic converter?