Q: My car is running hot, what could be the problem?

Last summer my radiator blew so I got a new radiator put in the car and it was still running hot. Then the mechanic said that it was most likely the water pump so I got a new water pump put in and the car was still running hot. Then the mechanic said that it most likely was the thermostat so I went and got it replaced. It was still running hot but the mechanic tried to tell me that Impalas just run hot and as long as it isn't in the red then it was ok. Even though I knew he was lying I was just irritated with dealing with him and now a year later it's still running hot but now it's in the red and yesterday I came outside and there was antifreeze all on the ground. Since I'm in college I can't really afford to take it to a dealership to get repaired and I need the car to get to work and school.

There could be an issue with the cylinder head gaskets. Antifreeze can break down and become acidic if not replaced as normal maintenance. The head gasket material erodes and can cause engine compression to build up in the coolant system. This will prevent the flow of coolant which can create an overheating condition.

There is a test that can be done to check whether there is carbon monoxide in the coolant system; it involves special equipment.

I recommend having your overheating condition inspected, and perhaps have a block test performed.