Q: My car is not driving smooth as I feel hard acceleration but only at low speed i.e 40 km/hr

I bought this car few months before, it was much smoother, few days back I drive my car to school in heavy rain. When I came back home after school I heard a noise from engine, I go to mechanic and he replace the compressor bearing and that noise was gone, but now when I accelerate car slowly I feel hard acceleration and hear very low "grrrrr" sound but this sound is only heard by me mechanic does not hear that and said car is perfect! But now I feel car is not driven smooth as it was before! Please help!

A: Hi there. This presents an interesting situ...

Hi there. This presents an interesting situation and I completely understand how you feel. It's almost like now that something has gone wrong, you wonder what else is going wrong with the car? And it doesn't feel like it should. More often than not, there may not be anything going on except in our own mind; we never seem to notice much until something happens. And you're right to try to get to the bottom of it.

I have to ask first, why was the compressor bearing replaced? When you were driving through the rain, what type of noise did you hear? If it was a squealing noise, then it may have simply been water that had gotten onto the serpentine belt while driving in the rain. However, I still do not know why a compressor bearing was replaced. As for the low "grrr" sound, this could simply be a resonation from the AC tubes if they were repositioned during the repair.

I have also experienced Toyotas that develop a similar sound or low rattle type sound under moderate acceleration from the exhaust manifold heat shields and/or the intake manifold bolt hole inserts becoming loose. This wouldn't necessarily be a safety or engine performance concern, but would definitely make you feel like it is. Be sure to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection to determine what repairs are needed.