Q: Car stalls, rpms go up, & no power

"When driving above 55 - 75 mph, my car stalls, the rpms go up and I get no power to the transmission. The wrench and the engine lights come on. I have to pull over, restart the car, and then all is fine. Then, the wrench light goes off and the check engine light comes on. A while ago I went to the auto repair shop and was told that the throttle body might be bad. I researched online and found that cleaning the throttle body could potentially solve the problem. I sprayed some seafoam in there and everything worked great. Then… after driving out-of-town and then returning, my car went into limp mode again. I could not drive higher than 50 mph. Every time I had to go uphill, the rpms would shoot into the 2500s. Since then, I can’t accelerate quickly without my car going into limp mode. Going uphill can set the limp mode on. I’m getting 35-40 mpg and I Should be getting 20-24! In your professional experience, what will solve these problems?"

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes. This will give me an indication of anything the computer is seeing. If it is not seeing anything, then it may be the throttle body, but most of the time it is actually caused by a failing inertia switch. This fuel shift off switch is a common failure on this vehicle and will cause the fuel pump to turn off.

It is hard to diagnose but it is the most common failure. I usually install a fuel pressure gauge and then drive the vehicle to see if the pressure drops when the vehicle turns off. If you are going to have it repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your stalling issue and make any needed repairs.

3. Car stalls, rpms go up, & no power