Q: When turning, a clicking sound can be heard from the front of the vehicle

I have a Santa Fe 2010 model with 3500cc engine. Sometimes when starting to turn on the car, a clicking sound be heard from the front of the car (sometimes gentle, sometimes very intense). This problem existed since I bought this car in 2010. So far I didn't mention it. I think it relates to transmit ion.

Hi, thanks for writing in. This can be caused by a couple of things.

First, bad or worn outer CV joints can cause this. Does your car make the noise when turning both ways or just one way? If it happens only turning left, then odds are the noise is coming from the right outer CV joint. If it only happens when turning right, then it is the left outer CV joint.

Secondly, if the vehicle is 4 wheel drive and happens when 4WD is engaged, it can be what is known as "axle bind" which is a common thing in some 4WD vehicles when making a tight turn.

Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

3. When turning, a clicking sound can be heard from the front of the vehicle