Q: Engine valve leaking. 1998 Ford Crown Victoria.

Went to a shop to see if it was a transmission problem but transmission is fine. Said that the engine valve is leaking from the top and causing smoke and jerking. Wondering how long I have to fix it and if the parts and labor are cheap to fix. It's an old car and very reliable. Trying to keep it as long as possible till about February. What is the significant cost of this replacement?

A: Hello. It sounds like you may have a valve ...

Hello. It sounds like you may have a valve cover leaking. If it leaks, the oil can get on the exhaust and cause smoking, and if it gets on the oxygen sensors, then the car will run like this. The valve cover gaskets will need to be replaced and the sensors either cleaned or replaced. The cost should not be terrible, but it is a good idea to get an estimate (you can get one on the site). If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the leak and follow through with any needed repairs.