Q: My wife's car is jerking while switching gears, and got codes P0700 and P0765 from check engine light

asked by on May 13, 2016

My wife's car started running rough a few days ago. She says the car is jerking a lot and the check engine light is on. I took it for a drive and the car is not accelerating as quickly as usual, and when the car shifts gears, it would jerk (sometimes very mild, sometimes violent). I also noticed that engine sounds louder than normal. I got the following codes back: P0700 and P0765. I researched the codes but didn't find very much. I think it could be a problem with the solenoid or transmission control system, or dirty transmission fluid. Any ideas?

Based on those fault codes, there is a faulty shift solenoid. The lack of acceleration is probably due to the transmission going into a failsafe mode. You may want to get a mechanic to look at the transmission to prevent any mechanical damage that may occur from trying to drive in a failsafe condition. They will be able to properly diagnose your Check Engine Light codes and driving symptoms in order to find the appropriate repair. This article on trouble code P0700 will help give you an idea of what to expect and consider when finding a fix for your Check Engine Light.