Q: My van transmission started slipping and the van is making a whining sound now. I had transmission fluid filled but it is even wor

asked by on March 10, 2017

My van transmission is slipping. I had the fluid filled but it didn't help. It is also making a high pitch whirring noise when driven. It seems worse since fluid was filled, it hesitates to go in drive and reverse. I don't have much money and need the van. Will it need a whole new transmission?

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It would be a good idea to check to be sure that the fluid level was not overfilled. Too much fluid creates shifting and operational problems just as too little fluid will. So, the level should be carefully verified. If the whirring noise is from the transmission (it could be wheel bearings for example), such noise could be from the torque converter, oil pump, or other rotating elements. The noise would have to be heard first hand by a mechanic to pin it down. If the transmission is not shifting properly, it could be as simple as a valve body issue (typically the valve body is replaceable on the vehicle) but there are also many other causes of shift difficulty such as broken or worn bands, failing clutch pistons and so forth. Some of these faults can be determined by using external gauges to measure internal hydraulic pressures within the transmission when you shift. Transmissions can be repaired; you won’t necessarily need a "new" transmission but yes, admittedly, such repairs can be costly. If you want to get a definitive diagnosis and get information about repair options, just request a transmission shift and noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will help you with that. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.