My Brake pedal makes a humming when pressed 2004 brake sy...

Q: My Brake pedal makes a humming when pressed

Brakes work as they should but a humming sound comes from the engine area

The brake caliper(s) could be failing to retract, thus setting up a harmonic during or after application of the brakes. Calipers should be rebuilt (or replaced) every 75,000 miles or so due to the harsh operating conditions they endure, principally high heat and corrosion. The problem is brake calipers eventually become sticky in operation. In addition, the caliper torque plate has sliding pins that have to be free and well lubricated with high temperature brake grease in order for the brake pads to retract from the rotor once you release the brake pedal. There are also brake shims in the assembly that could have failed or are missing. Rotor defects or wear can also cause brake noise. These possibilities should be looked at first. To resolve this, the recommended service is a brake noise diagnostic. If you request that diagnostic, a certified mechanic will be dispatched by YourMechanic to evaluate your brakes and address all your concerns.