Q: Car shakes when started

My car shakes when started. I think it needs the timing chain adjusted or replaced.

A: Hello, Having your car shake during start u...

Hello, Having your car shake during start up is not a pleasant experience, to say the least. There are several factors that could lead to the symptoms your Monte Carlo is experiencing with shaking while starting. While the timing chain plays an important role in the car’s operation, I do not believe it is the culprit behind the shaking you are experiencing. More often what I see in the field is improper fuel pressure, a clogged jet in the carburetor and even bad engine mounts. These are usually what is the causing the engine to shake. However, since there are many different variables that could duplicate the same symptoms your Monte Carlo is experiencing, I feel it is best to get a diagnosis from a certified mechanic to determine the cause of the shaking while starting, but also work with you to determine the status of your timing chain issue as well.