Q: My alarm is going off at random

For the past couple of weeks, the panic alarm has been going off late at night, at random. I have visited the dealership multiple times and that still didn't fix the issue.

Earlier, they assumed that this issue was because of a security alarm that I had purchased as an accessory. During my 4th visit to the dealership within 10 days, the security alarm was removed; however, the issue still exists and the panic alarm still keeps going off multiple times during night. How can this get fixed?

A: A common failure point in this alarm system...

A common failure point in this alarm system is the security hood switch, which is attached to the hood latch. The system control module monitors the position of the hood via this sensor. It also monitors the position of the doors and tailgate. If it determines that any of these panels are open, it will sound the alarm.

I suggest you have someone other than the dealer inspect your vehicle's electrical system to determine if this is the problem. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.