Q: Should I still drive my car with a bad timing belt

asked by on March 29, 2017

Mechanic informed me that the timing belt is cracked on my 2004 Honda Civic. Can I still drive my car around for another few days before replacing the belt? Or is driving not advised with the belts in it current state?

Timing Belt Replacement $295.56 - $1284.62 Get a Quote

In your application, which is referred to as an "interference engine", once it known that the timing belt is defective in any respect, it is recommended that you do not operate the engine at all until the belt is replaced. This advice is given because in interference engine designs, were the belt to break while the engine is turning, the valves could hit the top of the pistons causing very costly mechanical damage. Consequently, again, once you have actual knowledge of a problem with the timing belt the only prudent course is to simply repair the car at once. Following the manufacturer’s recommended service interval also helps to avoid problems with the timing belt in interference engine applications. If you want the timing belt changed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request timing belt service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.