Q: 01 jetta wont go into reverse

asked by on August 26, 2017

01 jetta will not go into reverse. the back and forth shift linkage recently came off. i was able to get that all put back together and everything looks ok. i tried putting it in reverse with the car off and no clutch to check that. all the bushings on the cables look ok and the weight on the transmission is bolted down fine. i think it has something to do with pressing down on the shifter to engage reverse, it feels looser than it did before.

There are some plastic bushings in the shifter that will crack and fall out making the shifting sloppy. This is probably what has happened to you. They might be in the base of the shifter itself, or in the bell crank under the hood. Just follow the shift linkage and look for anything that seems like it fits loosely as though there should be something else there. If you decide you need some help with this, or you’d just rather not spend the afternoon upside down under your dashboard, contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician right to your home or office to check out your shifter problem and let you know what it will take to solve it.