Q: Starting issues, bucks and stalls during acceleration

My car has difficulty starting up. I have to keep the key for a couple of seconds in the ignition. After it is started up, it just stalls right away. Then, if I try to start it up again, it would immediately crank and turn over. This happens intermittently. The other day, while I was trying to accelerate from the stop light, the car started hesitating and finally stalled. I tried to start it up again, but it was bucking. Then, the car completely shut down and backfired. I had the EGR valve replced along with the fuel filter but the issue persists. What should I do? Thanks.

The first issue of a no-start or a stall after starting is going to be a problem with the anti-theft system and maybe the ignition key or the key sensor intermittently not disabling the anti-theft system. This would need to be tested as the cause.

The second problem for a hesitation and stall at a stop light may be a crankshaft or camshaft sensor intermittently failing. A computer test to gather any codes that are received may help in this diagnosis. I recommend getting in touch with a certified technician whom will have the tools and expertise to thoroughly inspect your car’s stalling issue and recommend a repair.

3. Starting issues, bucks and stalls during acceleration