Q: My car at 70 mph reads 3000 rpms. Is that normal because it is burning gas too fast? 2002 Plymouth Neon

My 02 neon has high rmps at low speeds. I can be running 45mph and my rpm needle reads 2000. It idles under 1000rmps. But when i am running 70mph the rpms are at 3000 but i burn less gas

Hello - check first to be sure you have the gear shifter in the "D" position, NOT in the "3" position. This ensure engagement of "Overdrive". Your car has a 4-speed transmission, plus overdrive. If you listen carefully, while accelerating from a dead stop to freeway speeds, you should be able to tell that the car has 5 distinct "gears". The tachometer (RPM gauge) will drop slightly with each gear change, including engagement of Overdrive at about 45-50 mph. If you are not getting Overdrive engagement, check fuses first, then have a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car at 70 mph reads 3000 rpms. Is that normal because it is burning gas too fast? 2002 Plymouth Neon